Friday, January 24, 2014

Phoenix Karate Tournament with the Girls at Cedar Ridge Academy Private International Boarding School

A few months back, a group of girls and I from Cedar RidgeAcademy International Private Therapeutic Boarding School went to a karate tournament down in Phoenix, Arizona.  Our trip started off by driving down to Rob’s house in Saint George. That night we spent some down time, but we also spent quite a bit of time practicing our katas. The next morning we started off to Phoenix, where the real challenge was waiting. Once in Phoenix we stayed at a condo one of the girls’ parents had rented out for us to stay while in Phoenix. We had a ton of fun; we went swimming as well as enjoying a bunch of quality time with the group.

Girls_Karate_Cedar_Ridge_Academy_Private_International_Boarding_School
Therapist and instructor, Rob, with the girls and all their bling!
The next morning we were up early, because it was the day of the tournament. We ate a protein-filled breakfast, ironed our gis, and prepared to head off. Once there, our nerves were really kicking in. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach. We got checked in, entered the Dojo, and found a spot to settle down in. There were a ton of people, some who were very intimidating and others not so much.  It would be a while before we got started so we kept ourselves busy with practicing, checking out our opponents, and just enjoying the tournament itself. It was finally our group’s time to participate in the tournament. Between the four of us we were split up into three groups: one girl in the adult division, me and another in the greenbelt division for our age group, and another girl in the brown belt and up division for our age group.

Spar_Karate_Cedar_Ridge_Academy_Private_International_Therapeutic_Boarding_School
One of our girls in a sparing match with someone from another dojo
First up was the adult division and for the girl participating in this she strolled away successful with a 1st place in kumite and 3rd place in kata. The other girl and I in my division ended up being the only two in our division, so it was a quick competition. Next up was mine and the other girl's turn. I felt nervous at first, but the minute I stepped into the ring to do my kata, my nervousness was replaced with a new found peace and determination. I nailed my kata, but so did the girl I was competing against. So they had us do it again, but again I felt that intense determination and confidence, and in my mind that is what got me 1st place in kata.

Our next event was the kumite (sparring). This was the event that I was the most excited for. For me, there is no better feeling than stepping up to the ring and feeling the adrenaline shooting through me. For me, it’s the challenge in front of me that gets me pumped. The whole fight ended up being about 30 seconds. I won with two round-houses to the chest of the girl I was fighting. I walked away with two 1st places and she walked away with two 2nd places. It was a good competition, because sometimes it’s harder to fight someone who you train with rather than someone you’ve never met, because when you train with someone you learn their moves and techniques, which in turn=ups the challenge.  Next was the brown belt division and the girl who participated in it placed 2nd in kumite and 2nd in kata. So overall ,we walked away from the trip with a huge success and really awesome memories. I can’t wait for the next tournament.

Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate