Friday, December 6, 2013

Cedar Ridge Academy Private International Boarding School Welcomes a New English Teacher

This summer, Cedar Ridge Academy Private International Boarding School added a new English teacher to the staff, Kristi Wall.  One of our students interviewed her for the fall issue of Cedar Spectrum newsletter.  We have reprinted this spotlight here for you and welcome Kristi to our Cedar Ridge family.

What made you motivated to be an English teacher?
It started in high school-my English teacher was so dynamic! She got me so much more interested in words-made them fun, actually. I have loved to read and write for as long as I can remember. I also love teenagers, so it is easy for me to teach them.

What made you want to come teach and be a staff at Cedar Ridge?
After working in public schools for 14 years, I realized I enjoy teaching one on one instead of teaching about 30 students at a time.  After teaching over 150 students, I also realized that a smaller environment would suit me better. I have a strong belief that people can and should reach their potential, so seeing that happen at Cedar Ridge is a perfect reinforcement for me.

How long have you been teaching English?
I started teaching in 1998, so it has been about 15 years.

If you had not gone into English for your career, what would have been your second choice for a career?
When I was little, I really wanted to be an astronaut, but that is obviously out of the question. I am actually really interested in medicine and working with people-you know, helping people. If I had not liked working with teenagers so much, I think I would have gone into a medical field of some sort.

Where did you grow up and how did you end up coming to Utah?
I was actually born in Vernal, Utah, and I have lived in Utah my entire life. I just moved around the state for college, etc. I have always enjoyed living in smaller towns, so I have enjoyed staying in the state.

What are your family dynamics and what is your family like?
I have four siblings, and I am the oldest. Actually, my youngest sister and I are almost 18 years apart! My dad is a retired elementary teacher, and my mom is a manager at a post office. I have been married for almost 10 years, and my husband is an accountant. My husband and I adopted our only child about two years ago, when he was six months old.

If you could change one thing about your job here, what would it be and why?
You know, honestly, I wish I could spend more time here! I am so torn between spending more time with my family and spending more time with you guys because I enjoy being around you guys; you are a lot of fun! 

What is your favorite part of being a staff and teaching at Cedar Ridge?
I think my favorite part of being a staff and teaching here is definitely the students. I have never met so many intellectual teenagers, really! You guys understand so much, and you are so well-rounded, it is just so awesome to see. I cannot wait to see how you will all turn out. I get closer to all of you every day. It is so much easier to get along with people when I get to know them, especially teenagers! I was a lot like the kids here, so I see myself in a lot of you, and I just love to see you succeed!

English_Teacher_Cedar_Ridge_Academy_Private_International_Boarding_School
Kristi takes a break from helping students

Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate