Friday, December 13, 2013

A New Guidance Counselor at Cedar Ridge Academy Private International Boarding School

This summer, Cedar Ridge Academy Private International Boarding School welcomed a new guidance counselor, Holland Olsen.  For the fall issue of Cedar Spectrum newsletter, one of our students interviewed him.  We have reprinted this article here for you and welcome Holland to our Cedar Ridge family.

What does your job entail?
My job entails helping students progress academically and to make sure the school is meeting its academic needs.

What is your favorite part of your job?
I would say the favorite part of my job is the interaction with students.

Where did you go to college?
I got my undergraduate degree from Dixie State College and my Master’s degree from Ottawa University.

What do you do in your free time?
I like to play basketball, snowboard, any type of sport really. I also like to spend time with my wife; enjoying the time since we don’t have kids.

What's your favorite part of living in Utah?
Probably being able to be close to family.

Where did you grow up?
I grew up in a small town in Gunnison, Utah.

What is your favorite color?
Green.

Why did you want to become a school counselor?
I wanted to be able to help students realize their potential. I also feel students sometimes need a guy with my personality to help them out.

How does your school day go?
I get up, I get ready for work, I drive 20 minutes to work, I then have the pleasure of waking up the Redwood boys. Once  I'm at school I address the situations from most important to less pressing. After work I usually exercise, eat, and then hangout with my wife.

When did you start working at Cedar Ridge?
I started working at Cedar Ridge on June 24, 2013.

Did you have a nickname when growing up?
I had a lot of nicknames growing up a sample of what they were; the obvious one is Dutch. My freshman basketball coach nicknamed me Sasha Dabradavich, the Russian dancing bear because of my work down in the low post during basketball. My best friends called me W for no apparent reason.

Do you help out with the boys basketball team?
Occasionally, when asked.

 Holland pauses for a quick picture during his workday

Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate