Friday, August 30, 2013

A Camping Trip at Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School

In August, Cedar Ridge Academy Private Therapeutic Boarding School organized a camping trip for boys to attend.  The purpose of the trip was to build relationships and to create a great environment for therapeutic conversations.  I asked the students to write a bit about what they did while they were gone and what they enjoyed.  Here are three different student responses.

One student said:
The camping trip was definitely one of the best times I’ve had since I’ve been at Cedar Ridge. There were a lot of things I saw and did for the first time, such as seeing a moose and catching my first fish. It was really beautiful and peaceful up in the mountains where we were at and we were able to just relax and talk or play games in between meals and fishing. We built some really cool tarp shelters, which the kids from wilderness were pros at and all theirs looked awesome. We also managed to bring some pretty delicious food out there for some comfort
Delicious_food_while_camping_in_Uintah_Mountains_Cedar_ridge_academy_coed_therapeutic_boarding_school
Cooking in style
 camping. I can’t wait until we get the chance to do something like this again.
Another student commented:
Yeah, I had a pretty good time on the camping trip. At first I was a little worried when the first few minutes we got there, it began to rain. Frolicking in the fields was pretty dope, especially when I had the time to meditate and think about my life. The experience was pretty nature-like as I slept on the rugged floor under a tarp that was three feet off the ground. Fishing was great, even though I fell into the lake.  I am glad to have had the experience to get closer to Mother Nature and understand the environment in Utah.
This student had great success with the fishing aspect:
Sleeping_under_tent_Cedar_ridge_academy_boys_camping_trip
Staying dry while camping
I had a great time on the camping trip. We got to build our own shelters (with the help of some of the kids who went to wilderness) and cooked our own food which tasted even better because we cooked it. I really liked the fishing. I caught around 6 fish, but nearly all of them were at the first lake. I really enjoyed the campfires we had and playing hacky-sack. I hope I can do it again.

Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate