Friday, October 19, 2012

Rigorous Curriculum for Troubled Teens at Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School


Cedar Ridge Academy is a therapeutic boarding school with a rigorous curriculum for troubled teens. We have a staff of certified teachers that help the boys and girls with credit recovery, academic recovery, and academic development. As students work through the program, you can see that they gradually excel in school too.  Cedar Ridge offers a good school system with online classes and teachers available to help in all subjects.

Rigorous academics at Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School


Monday through Thursday, we have school from 8:00am to 3:00pm. We have karate in the morning as a good way to wake up our body and brain, and then we spend the rest of the day in the school. Our classes are mostly online. We can do as little as one class at a time and as many as six if the student feels they are ready for it. The best part for me is that we can work at our own pace. If we thrive in a class, then we can work ahead and finish it early. If we need a little more help from the teachers, then we can slow down and spend time working until we fully understand the material. I like this better than normal high school because I get the chance to set my own pace, and learn to be self-motivated. Only if I’m struggling with maintaining a high score do teachers step in to help me out. It’s an effective system that I recommend over public high school any day.

Girl students working together with online classes at Cedar Ridge Academy


Something else I like about school at Cedar Ridge Academy is being able to watch my peers become more successful. I have been here nineteen months and as I have moved through the program, school has become a bigger priority, and I now take more pride in how I am doing. I watch some of the kids who have been here for less than two months and see that they do not even want to try. Then I look at them four months later, and see them starting to put in an effort and taking pride in it. For some kids, depending on how fast they work through the program, I get to see them graduate from high school. They love getting an A, and they love planning for a future in college or finishing out high school at home. I know it is hard for parents to send their kids away, and not physically be there while their kid is struggling in school; I had that same issue with my parents. I also know it was probably the best thing that happened to me. I am now ahead in school, have the best relationships with my parents I have ever had, and have a successful future planned for myself that I never would have even thought about before coming here. 

Boys studying online curriculum at Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School

Written by K.V.

Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate