Friday, October 5, 2012

Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School Students Learn How to Work in Groups

Between August 2nd and August 9th, some
Cedar Ridge Academy students attended a trip to the Utah Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, Utah.  These students had completed the class academics necessary to attend this trip.  For about the last decade, the certified English teachers have been teaching a rigorous curriculum to help students to understand William Shakespeare's words that also aims to help students with credit recovery, academic recovery, and prepare for college.  The class culminates in a great experience for these troubled teens: the trip.  To help with their academic development, one of their assignments is to write a reflection about the class or the trip to post on the blog.  This post was written by Reneta.

As a class, we were split up into different groups called companies.  My company was Kathlene, Mike, and J.T.  The class on campus with them was hilarious and productive.  We started off with an assigned project.  Luckily for us, our time kept getting pushed back, so we had more than enough time to get things done.  My favorite part of the project was the dating game.  The whole class was engaged and apart of it and that made me feel like the trip would be the same.  We had a scare right before the trip where my group didn't have our research paper finished and our "trip life" was threatened.  The staff being nice and trusting allowed us to finish our paper on the trip.  It was one of the best decisions they ever made (wink).

When we got to the cabin, the feeling of closeness isn't even the right word.  The girls went to the basement and got settled in and got ready for the play that night.  The first play we watched was Mary Stuart.  One of my favorite actors, Jacqueline, played Mary Stuart in the play and did a really nice job.  It was like that for 4-5 days out of the trip.  The next three days were the ones that made it hard to come back and let go.

The last night we were there, we had a fire-pit family and everyone showed emotion and opened up to each other.  I told everyone that I loved them and appreciated them and the only people I can actually honestly say that to are my two best friends that I've known forever.  I really do love the kids that I'm with.   They've allowed me to realize that it's ok for people to genuinely care about you without needing anything back.  This is one of the only times that I've felt safe and vulnerable at the same time. 

The Shakespeare trip was educational and fun.  At the same time, it was caring and emotional.  I loved it and am excited for the next group of kids that get to go and be with each other.

Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School Academics Shakespeare Trip 2012
Reneta's company for the Shakespeare class on the Utah Shakespeare Festival grounds



Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate