Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School Student Shares how Shakespeare Class is an Experience

Between August 2nd and August 9th, some
Cedar Ridge Academy students attended a trip to the Utah Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, Utah.  These students had completed the class academics necessary to attend this trip.  For about the last decade, the certified English teachers have been teaching a rigorous curriculum to help students to understand William Shakespeare's words that also aims to help students with credit recovery, academic recovery, and prepare for college.  The class culminates in a great experience for these troubled teens: the trip.  To help with their academic development, one of their assignments is to write a reflection about the class or the trip to post on the blog.  This post was written by Lara.

Shakespeare class was one of the best experiences I have ever had.  The experience taught me so many lessons all around, both educationally and emotionally.  I expanded my emotional horizons and I was able to be completely open and real with everyone.  I think that this experience was something that not many people get.  Before Shakespeare, I thought I was the closest I could be to someone.  That was before I spent twenty minutes crying in Christine's lap.

I did not just grow emotionally and with my relationships, but I also grew educationally.  I learned to actually UNDERSTAND what Shakespeare wrote rather than scanning over the pages with no idea what I was reading.  My writing improved as well as my presenting ability.  These skills of reading, writing, and presenting will help me as I get ready to attend college.

I know that I am going to miss Shakespeare class a lot, but I also know that being in the class is one of the best decisions I have ever made and something that I will never be able to forget.  I learned to trust more than I ever have and now I know what it is like to truly care about people and have them give that care back in return.  I believe that I have benefited so much from this and that I can take what I have learned and bring it with me wherever I go. 

Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School Shakespeare Trip 2012
Lara with Christine, her English teacher, at our "goodbye" fire that is used to end the Shakespeare trip


Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate