Thursday, September 27, 2012

Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School Encourages Learning About Shakespeare

Between August 2nd and August 9th, some
Cedar Ridge Academy students attended a trip to the Utah Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, Utah.  These students had completed the class academics necessary to attend this trip.  For about the last decade, the certified English teachers have been teaching a rigorous curriculum to help students to understand William Shakespeare's words that also aims to help students with credit recovery, academic recovery, and prepare for college.  The class culminates in a great experience for these troubled teens: the trip.  To help with their academic development, one of their assignments is to write a reflection about the class or the trip to post on the blog.  This post was written by J.T.

This summer I took the Shakespeare class offered at Cedar Ridge Academy.  Throughout the course, we studied three plays, two books, and one musical. The three plays we studied were The Merry Wives of Windsor, Henry IV Part 1, and Titus Andronicus.  The books that we studied were To Kill a Mockingbird and A Tale of Two Cities.  Finally, the musical was Les Miserables. Out of the three plays I enjoyed The Merry Wives of Windsor because I felt like it was more enlightening and more fun than the other two. Titus Andronicus was a bit too graphic for me and I felt like it was pretty messed up. Henry IV was too boring and was too much focused around history.  Out of the books, To Kill a Mockingbird was my favorite because it was a book that I had read prior to this class and I really enjoyed it.  It gives you a whole new perspective on what it was like to live back then when there was a lot of racism and hate going on. The musical was also amazing! I really enjoyed the entire story behind it and how the entire thing was done in singing.  It was easy to understand and it had a lot of emotion behind it.  Overall, I feel like I've learned a lot more about English than I have in any of my other classes.



Cedar Ridge Academy Therapeutic Boarding School Shakespeare Trip 2012
J.T. lounges at the cabin working on his English papers.

Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate