Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Experiential with Shane










On Monday in Shane’s group we did an experiential where we had to build a structure out of marshmallows and dry spaghetti. The goal was to try and make the tallest standing structure that would stay up for 30 seconds with out any support. I learned that the buildings that weren’t built with a strong structure were the ones that didn’t stand. I related this to my program because if you don’t start with a good sturdy base when you get higher up in the levels you wont be as successful and most likely have to start over. I also related this to home because here at Cedar Ridge you’re building a strong foundation for when you go home. If you don’t make use of your time here at Cedar Ridge when you go home you will struggle because you never took the time here to prepare for home.

There was also a lot of teamwork involved in this activity. You had to be able to communicate effectively with your teammates and get your ideas across with out getting into arguments. Some people on our team tried to let the other people do the work while others tried to take a leadership role. I think the most effective team though was a team that people worked as partners and equally shared there ideas and every one listened to every one and didn’t think that their idea was the only way to succeed.

-G.C.

Marshmallow Conundrum

Ex·pe·ri·en·tial means pertaining to or derived from experience. Let’s just say that in this group we get a lot of experience in things we wouldn’t even imagine doing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come into this group finding out what we were doing and saying to myself “whoa this is out there,” then during it getting so mad that I can’t do it or laughing so hard I might just start to cry. This last time we did something that I couldn’t believe. We took Spaghetti noodles and marshmallows and had to build the TALLEST structure and the team that won would get to eat the marshmallows. I wanted to win badly, these were the big fat marshmallows that you’d make smore’s out of, and I mean I thought it was going to be easy. I get teamed up with G.C. and A.G., and we start to build. It falls over—trigger number one; we start again, get higher this time and bam it falls—trigger number two. We decide after that, that our structure isn’t working. So we start all over again, this time getting a lot higher. Then G.C. decides that we need to break the noodles in half and have the mini marshmallows hold and support, even though A.G. and I are unsure, we do it anyways. We get to the tallest we’ve gotten so far, yet we also have a time limit. We look over at the other group’s towers and realize that we have the SHORTEST out of them all, and we have ten minutes to get it like seven inches taller. We start to rush and half of it falls to the ground—trigger number three. A.G. decides that it would be a great idea to kick the rest of it down, making it so that we don’t even have a structure built—trigger number four. At this point I’m just shaking my head in anger and trying to come up with someway to at least have some sort of thing. So much for those marshmallows! I get down on the ground while trying to fix the mess of marshmallows and spaghetti. We get it up but it looks terrible. I then just decide to have fun and do what ever I need to do. Also to mention that when we were done building our towers and the time stops the structures have to stand for thirty seconds. The time is done and we are all waiting in anticipation of who is going to win. We started with I.M.’s group, theirs falls. Second is W.L.’s group, theirs falls. Third group is S.G.’s and it stays. So does ours. So all in all we didn’t lose but we certainly didn’t win. We sat in the circle and were able to bring the situation into our lives and know that we need a big foundation to create good structure and that sometimes things may get hard but you have to keep building higher and higher and to try new things.

A.B.

Search Cedar Ridge Academy

Translate